I need to go for long walks in order to be happy. If I am really taking care of myself, I find a way to do it every day - a few miles of fresh air, and I get a rush of endorphins..everything looks brighter, smells more pungent, my body feels completely engaged, blood flowing and muscles working..my favorite spots are along the shores of Lake Michigan.
When life gets hectic, I forget how much I need to be near the lake every day..it's been since summer this time. It seems to take so long to remember what those walks mean to me and what they do for my emotions..
Christmas day I went for a walk with my parents, uncle, and sister. Not a long walk, but one that took us down the steep stairs at the state park, to the water's edge..I started to remember then.
New Year's day my sister & I went for a serious walk with my aunt&uncle, cousins, and a friend..one that led us in and out of the forest, up and down dunes, along the water, back through the forest..I felt like I wanted to jump with every step - like there were springs in my boots..I remembered. My sister looked at the sky and said, "I need to do something like this every day.." I know exactly what she means. It was the best kind of exhaustion.
Yesterday, the sky was cloudy and spitting cold rain. I bundled up and set out alone for the highlight of my weekend.. I parked in downtown Grand Haven and cut over along the channel, all the way to the end of the pier. The only walkers I met along the way were the ones who, like me, *need to*, and we traded happy smiles, strolling through the wind and rain with quiet enjoyment. When I got to the pier, I sat for awhile watching a surfer in the icy waters. I wondered if his winter surfing was giving him what my blustery walk was giving me.. I can't do this every day right now, but once a week is a start.
Where do you go when you need to feel most like yourself? What activity feeds every part of you - when you're *really* taking care of yourself, what's your favorite daily thing?
------------------------------------------------------------
just because it's cute, here's the directions from the back of the teabag my mom just brewed:
Korea Red Insam Tea ~
Direction:
Dissolve contents in this bag in a cup of cold water. It would be better taste when adding honey or other sweetenings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
mm...
i miss those walks. i usually get sick if i walk outside in the winter...no matter how much i bundle up.
but my summers are filled with daily walks to the beach...i usually climb to the top of the stairs on one of the dunes and just stretch and breathe and hold yoga poses. the expanse of water and sky makes me feel so small... and grateful for such intense beauty just outside my door.
Katie-
Winter always makes me feel cooped up too. I start to feel claustrphobic in my own home and need to get outside and exercise. Yesterday I was feeling this way, so I bundled the boys up and took them for a walk in their stroller. It started as a walk and turned into a jog as it started to colder and colder the farther I got away from the house. I was so afraid that the boys were too cold. It felt so good to be outside though, even if it was for only a short time. I hope you get the rejuvenation of another walk again really soon!
hi...why am i so fickle?????? one minute i think yes...the next, no...
what in the world.
Post a Comment