Monday, January 23, 2006

Do you know what I mean?

I saw End of the Spear the other night. Some things about the film really bothered me - but the flaws and the reasons they were so frustrating lay in the storytellying..not the story. I was still deeply moved, maybe because I knew the story before, and my mind and heart filled in some of what the film seemed to miss. What I was drawn to, though, was hard to articulate - it was like a beckoning finger from beneath a layered shroud, or a swirl of fragrant smoke leading down an alley. Was it there or wasn't it?
The scope of forgiveness and *honest* transformation demonstrated through the real-life people involved strikes a chord in me; the parts of the gospel that I urgently *want* to be true. So much of what I thought I Knew and Believed and Belonged-To has been jostled, tipped, half the damn thing's spilled...I have a squinty-eyed, who-are -you-*really*, bar-the-doors, I'd like to stuff your small-minded bumper sticker up your , kind of thing going on in my head..
So while I was watching this movie, I was conflicted: I don't know exactly how I feel about American Christians strategically targeting 'unreached people groups' with missionary teams..but then again, it was the 50's..
I cried for a long time, during the movie, all the way home, while I prepared for bed..
because it doesn't really matter to me if it's not a great film; I just really need the story to be true. I need to live on this planet for a reason. Forgiveness needs to be possible although rarely deserved. Transformation of individuals and cultures needs to be honest and complete, and hearts full of violence need to spill peace. I just haven't seen this up close lately. I've been so disillusioned by false morality, but I can't let go of hope that the Story can be true.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need you e-mail address. ~Erin

Kate Rudd said...

Erin, I'm so happy to see you here! I miss you, friend..you can go to my other blog www.xanga.com/rosekat and click on the part of my profile that says "email me"..I don't post my actual address here, but the message will get to me that way.. or, I can get it to you through 'Plamoria'..:)
I look forward to catching up with you!

mar-mar said...

yes you have a floor(actually a couch) to crash on...what day(s) and what time? just let me know so i can fill out my overnight guest form in time...(i don't have a lot going on this week-end (for once) so it works out fine...

Kate Rudd said...

cstone and serfmann,
thank you for commenting here - feel free to show up often! :)
cstone, i think the question at the end of your comment was rhetorical...i also think the mistrust is in everyone, but especially ourselves..our own ability to judge the safety of the world and people.
serfmann, i appreciate the encouragement..still truckin'. totally serious about the books. being raised by a librarian gave me this cavernous greed for them. :)