Thursday, October 05, 2006

I'm about to go to Chicago for the weekend for a class at Second City Improv. There will be plenty of opportunities for me to make a fool of myself doing what I love. The fact that I'm scared means it will be just what I've been needing the past few months. Since shooting the film in Indiana in March, I haven't had any acting work..and very little time to myself to devote to study and growth. Going so long without tangible progress feels a bit like a case of outrageous cabin fever. I need to get *out*, to stretch and breathe in the thing I was made to do. I need to keep learning and persisting. I know so little about acting, and it will take my whole life to find out what it's about. I don't want to waste any time that could be spent exploring. There are stories to tell, and I don't just want to watch other people telling them.
Improv is terrifying to me. So I can't wait to jump in with both feet.

As much as I look forward to the class, and spending time in the city, I'm *most* excited about seeing my sister Mary(one of my favorite people on the planet). I met her when she was a camper in my cabin the first summer I worked at Center Lake Bible Camp. We as counselors weren't supposed to have 'favorite' campers..but secretly I did. She was(even at that awkward age)poised, thoughtful and confident. She was kind, focused, funny and engaging. I wished I could keep her.
Now as a woman she's all those things and more. Her character and opportunities grew with age. Trips to Romania, Hungary, Dominican Republic, Turkey..soon Japan. Shooting a student film in the Bahamas, studying, tutoring kids, volunteering, sleeping not enough. That's just Mary.
I still consider getting her as a sister two years later one of the most fortunate gifts of my life. There's really so much more I'd have to say in order for you to understand..but I'm too busy getting ready to go hang out with my sister. You'll just have to read her blog.
:)


2 comments:

Sally said...

Enjoy this gorgeous Fall Chicago adventure, Katie Rose. Waiting expectantly for the reports of growth!

mar-mar said...

had so much fun with you!! glad you could experience the "moody" culture...just got back from a road trip through penn. so much fun!
love you