So, Monday night I had an audition in GR. Which is very good news. I love auditions.
The problem? I was sick..so sick. I barely made it through the morning with the girls. I sat very still for long periods of time between their requests or quarrels. I had chills, a cough, a headache, a fever. I could actually *hear* my blood. Is that normal?
After dropping Willow off at school, usually Ginger & I have some serious fun via the beach, hike, or ice cream stop. Not Monday.
"Where are we going?", she asked from the backseat with a voice full of anticipation.
I think I muttered something about home, or just thought it as I stared resolutely at the road in front of me. See, the sound of the blood in my head was kind of distracting and I was totally focused on getting to a place where I would not have to move. At all.
Ginger didn't like this 'home' plan. At all.
I didn't have much time after Willow got home before I needed to leave for the audition. I hadn't worked in months. I wasn't about to call in sick. So, I took some medicine to help me through the rest of the day. Very important to be alert at auditions.
I should have looked more closely at the label..again, the blood-noise distraction..it was generic NyQuil. The blah-blah-blah so you can SLEEP medicine.
!
You don't know what NyQuil does to me.
My mom made me a pot of coffee..I drank a lot of coffee..
I went, and as always, did my best.
I'd never driven in downtown GR before. Didn't know how to find the building on campus that I needed..
I parked my car and checked my face before I got out. I wanted to see if I looked as trashed as I felt. I was pretty normal looking, except for the lack of pupils. Pretty much no pupils. Hm...oh, well.
I found the place, and got off to a great start by walking straight past the registration table and into the room where they were auditioning someone else. (By the way,that's a good way to make a first impression, if you ever want to try auditioning for something.)
As I introduced myself, I felt someone grab my arm and lead me out to the place where all the other actors were waiting.
I had about two minutes to look at a couple of scenes for two different characters before being called in. I re-introduced myself and proceeded with the audition. Did I mention how important the voice is to a performance? Did I mention that my voice sounded like a forty year old male smoker?
I walked out a few minutes later, still in a total fog, and laughed at myself. I don't give excuses in auditions. If I suck, I suck. I'm not going to waste their time and mine with a story explaining why.
It's a learning experience no matter what. I walked out of there understanding my circumstances, and knowing I did the best I could with them. I wish I could see the tape of my scene - probably so funny!
After you leave an audition, if you don't want to go insane, you just forget. You let it go. If you were awful, you take the lesson and move on quickly.
I did not expect to hear from them, but tonight, I did.
I won't be playing the role I tried out for(a burnt-out social worker in a halfway house)...
I've been offered instead the role of 'Party Performer'. I am told I will be needed for one day..wearing a renaissance gown..playing the flute at a child's birthday party.
Of course I took it. Not only do I not give excuses at auditions, I also do not turn down perfectly bizarre student film flute playing opportunities. I have until the beginning of June to find my inner flutist. I think I remember leaving her somewhere in the mid 90's..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Congratulations! Flutes rock! In a tasteful, restained way.
v.z. mon-TENNN-go!!!
how are you? i heard that some girl from your film hasn't turned in her bio for the website yet. very unprofessional. she must be a bit disorganized in general.
(the website looks great so far - i can't wait to see the trailer!)
Congrats Katie! You must be super-talented to get a part even though you were dog-sick! Hope you're feeling better & I look forward to the next time we get to hang out!
Congrats!!!! I totally know the feeling of being fogged over by NyQuil. That stuff does a number on me too. I am impressed you were not only able to function after taking that stuff, but you got a part too!!! Way to go!!!
At some point, I'll make up a bio for you -- do you want to be an ex-marine, a circus performer, or an Austrian countess?
I'm starting to get rough cuts of scenes from Guy. Quite cool!
Post a Comment