Friday, December 30, 2005

It's snowing tonight

All week the snow has been melting, slowly pulling back to reveal wet ground and pavement, a hundred shades of gray and brown.
Tonight the snow came back, wet and heavy, maybe even enough to resurrect my plans for skiing in the new year with my sister..
It's funny, I think, how snow changes things. I was looking out the window as my aunt drove tonight, and was transfixed by what I saw..surprised to be admiring things I never would have noticed without the help of the snow..the huge black&white billboard on Getty street, some ad for the hospital. Normally a blight, suddenly framed by a gradient dusting of white snow, forming a halo pattern across the face of the happy patient. It was somehow luminous. More surprising to me was the way my my eyes were nourished by the tangled weeds on the barbed-wire security fence surrounding the factory that makes military vehicles (normally I feel distressed when I pass by that place)..coated in the falling snow, the weeds made a silvery web of intricate designs..the barbed wire seemed more like sculpture..
Snow can make even ugly things..different.

2 comments:

Andrea Wagenmaker said...

Katie-
I am so glad you finally posted again. I have been anxiously awaiting your next post for so long! I hope you and the girls had a wonderful holiday season together.

Kate Rudd said...

thanks, andrea - we did, although it was so different. the girls are still revelling in their stash of stuff, sharing *occasionally*..
Angie, i was just thinking of you! i miss you, too - we need to go get coffee or something soon..email or call anytime :)