A wise sage once said 'if a mother goes blind, it is best to not tell the children.'
Actually, I made that up. Instead, it was Willow this afternoon who said skeptically, 'I never heard of a mom who can't see.' I squinted at her small form against the backdrop of the white stove behind her...
Last night I was washing my face and taking my contacts out as usual. They were brand new, the first day of wear, and I was aving trouble getting the right contact out of my eye. Then, to my relief, it was out. To my dismay, it was washwept down the drain of the sink I was leaning over.
It was my only pair of contacts.
I do not own glasses.
This morning, I explained to the girls why we had to stay at the house all day and cancel our appointments. That Mom couldn't see so it wouldn't be safe for her to drive, or even to walk across the acorn-strewn patio. So no playing outside either.
Then I made breakfast(pb&j toast), and after they had eaten and I tried to perform basic tasks like not tripping on the dog, I thought: when you can't see everything takes longer but it doesn't matter because along with your vision, time also blurs.
I realized at some point that Ginger was walking around with alot of jelly on her chin. and lips and nose and cheek. I didn't remember actully putting that much jelly on her toast...
As I groped my way toward her, stopping almost nose-to-nose, I figured out that it was not jelly. Lipstick, rather. In one of my favorite shades..so I asked her to show me the rest of the lipstick, and she led me to the bathroom wall.
I ws going to post some of my favorihoughts from Ann Lammott's Travelling mercies, but that will have to wait until I can actually read.
My face is four inches from the keyboard as I type this, and my mother is making fun of me..
And, no - I qwon't use spell check. It would be too hard to read and I think any possible errors in my typing are a testimoniasl to my cureent reality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
i love you...your post made me smile. my roomie needs glasses, so sometimes i see her glaring at me and i say "what?" like she is mad at me-then i remember that she can't see...
i'll be back on the other side of the pond thanksgiving week-end
This is so sweet. Sorry about the vision loss though.... but I betcha you'll be able to use it for multiple illustrations for your girls! "remember when... remember when?..."
Having some diagnositc tests done - I will not get concerned until there is any reason to. But would you pray for me, please?
And is it as chilly and crisp up there as it is here today?
mar, i love you too. i'd like to find a way to see you soon, maybe thanksgiving weekend we could meet halfway or something.
sally, i am praying for you right now..i hope you get the clear results that will relieve your concern. and the girls were very excited to finally have a mom who can see again tonight..it was a beautiful, crisp fall day here. people raved about it - perfect for a sweater, no jacket. ;)
Post a Comment