Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Can we agree to skip February this year?


[lovely shot courtesy of Pat D. Hemplepp]



I could maybe survive the winter tolerably if I were allowed to stay curled in my favorite blanket at the window where the cardinals congregate in the snow-heavy branches of some berry bush I don't recognize.

I could maybe enjoy it if I stayed there, inches from my peppermint vanille candle, listening to Carla Bruni and Karin Bergquist, whose voices offer as much distinctive warmth as a good Irish Coffee.

I could definitely love it if I had a stack of great novels and a soft overstuffed chair.

Or if I were a wolf.


[image from darkhound.org]




But in the winter months, having to do all the Normal Things required to move through the days and evenings..but doing them while cold(for this girl is always frozen this time of year, unless wearing layers that amount to double digits)...seems terribly unfair. I'm always less patient when frigid. And no matter how much I try to convince the world that I really must retreat during this infernal(ironic) time, it seems that I get the same answer from the cosmos each December:
Keep Moving. Quit Whining. Put on a sweater.



Okay, Cosmos on behalf of Winter. You're probably right. But I'm still a little peeved at you.

You know what might placate me, Cosmos? Arranging a really great deal on an amazingly warm winter coat which actually fits and looks just a tiny bit vampy. I know. It's a lot to ask.

1 comment:

Allie, Dearest said...

Yes to the Carla Bruni, very nice. I wish I could pass through all of this weather immediately without a second thought. Or that I could be one of those people who don't mind the icy wind.

Neither is true, unfortunately. So I have to bundle myself up, too.