
A few posts ago I promised to tell you more about how the recent tax incentives for film productions will affect me as a non-union actress/resident of Michigan.
This week the governor signed Michigan's Film Incentive package into law, generating buzz everywhere from the industry's most recognizable publications, like this article in the LA Times, or this one in Variety Magazine.
Locally there was coverage of the just-started crew training through GRCC.
And other articles giving readers a basic overview of what the Film Incentives will mean for Michigan.
My friend David O'Malley was featured in the Battle Creek Enquirer, a piece in which he mentions plans for bringing film production to Michigan via Safe Harbor Productions in the coming months.
I've been working with Safe Harbor since last summer as their Michigan Representative.
Much of that time has been spent waiting to see what Michigan would do with this legislation.
Now things are progressing very rapidly(an understatement). At least three major productions are set to shoot over the summer, and Safe Harbor is working quickly to establish a ground-floor presence in the state.
Janet Lockwood has been the go-to woman for the Michigan Film Office. Thanks to the governor's signature on the bills, she is able to be at the Locations Expo in LA shopping our state's robust incentive package to the most influential decision makers in Hollywood.
I met with TicTock Studios in Holland recently to see their ongoing progression toward creating the Columbia Art District, and was encouraged to see the tangible headway they're making. West Michigan has a chance to be the premiere area for the state's emerging film industry. With all the hard work they've done and the strides they're making now, I expect that they will be one of the names at the forefront of that movement.
As for Safe Harbor, we have two projects in the works which we plan to shoot in Michigan soon. I will serve as a producer on the first project, and might even sneak a little acting in as well. I am thrilled for the chance to gain a better understanding of the process it takes to tell stories though film. Life is very full and the furthest thing from boring at present.
It's wonderful to see a near future in which it could be possible for performers and crew to stay in Michigan instead of relocating themselves and their families in order to have a chance at living their craft. And in this smaller market, bringing the industry here means every Michigan actor, actress, gaffer, P.A., and the list goes on.. has a better chance at making a go of it. It's a smaller ocean, with fewer sharks.
So for me, the next few months will consist of developing Safe Harbor's presence here and, if all goes well, playing a key role in making a movie or two..
And I'll continue helping with licensing development for Redbeard Music..
And I'll have a fabulous Michigan summer with the five people I love more than anything in this world! Can't wait for swimming weather..




1 comment:
Thanks for updating. It sounds like a very exciting time for you, for many wonderful reasons.
I have wondered what it is that you do, exactly. However, I am starting to think that some of the best jobs are the ones that when asked what you do, you have to take a moment to find the best way to explain it, instead of just replying with a quick one sentence reply.
Post a Comment