In a previous post, I extolled the virtues of this eclectic cantina on Grand Haven's east side.
Since moving north of the bridge last month I haven't been back(most of my time spent south of it is in a state of late-ness, trying to deliver Ginger to school in time for the *very* important 'second breakfast')..
This morning I remembered the place and stopped in to get my(inexpensive)fix. Everything was exactly the same as before, right down to the row of regulars perched on the bench along the wall(including the guide dog I met months ago, who greeted me this time with a lopsided smile and wagging tail). Wild assortments of scarves and country decor and vintage magnets and sterling silver rings dangled and spread over every square inch of wall and counter. The ever-so-rare money jar sat there waiting for my honest payment.
Still, as soon as I stepped inside I could tell that Something was out of place. After a second or two I realized it was the absence of owner Mary's robust greeting and uncanny ability to remember my last visit and every detail of previous conversations..Mary, undoubtedly the reason why that row of regulars assembles each morning.
It seems that her husband became very ill with a heart problem and she left the shop to care for him during his difficult recovery.
In her absence a group of caring volunteers are working to keep the place afloat. Raising the stakes, the volunteer explained, is the fact that the coffee shop is the family's only income at this time.
If you need coffee on your way through GH, it's only a minute or two out off the highway, and well worth the detour anytime. But especially right now, when you have the opportunity to help Grand Haven keep one of a dying breed(locally owned one-of-a-kind coffee houses where the owner actually makes your drink and trusts you enough to be a good person and pay for it..), AND help a family get through a hard time.
I want to live in a world where people are good neighbors and dogs are allowed in coffee shops, and families get through hard times with the help of great friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Sooooooo...where is fat chix??
It's on Beechtree, I think..
If you click on "it's only a minute or two off the highway,.."
you should land on the google map.
:)
the girls were very happy yesterday - thanks for your thoughtfulness!
Post a Comment