Thursday, September 14, 2006

I think the reason I've been posting so sparsely this year is that it's very difficult to post pictures. I don't have a way to do it at home, and getting to a library or friend's house seems to pose a challenge with my schedule...so many stories I haven't told you as a result.

This weekend I'm going up north with my aunt Jen and cousin Kelly. I am so looking forward to their company, and seeing Mackinac Island again.
The smells: leather, lake breeze, chocolate, fuel, lilacs, horses, cedar, pine trees...
The sounds: buckles jingling, hooves clomping, bicycles ringing their bells, boat horns, music, lapping waves, seagulls..
I can't wait. I'm bring two books; one that I've been trying to get through for months and hope to finish, and another (a novel) that I may start if I get through the first one.
....................................................................................

When Willow was three years old and you asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, she would say without hesitation,
" A pilot. I'll fly planes."

Today I asked Ginger, now three, the same question. She answered without hesitation,
" A Seagull Monkey."

Two girls, two temperaments, both dead serious about their answers.
I love it. ;)

5 comments:

mar-mar said...

hey, when you come...(yes, when... :)
do you want to see Hamlet for free at Navy Pier...if we usher-it is free. i just need to know ahead of time (tickets are usually $65-$75)(we could see it friday night...or sat during the day-but not sat night cause i have to be at this thing for a couple of hours...

Anonymous said...

ahhh Mackinac island. I LOVE that place. I heard the hooves clomping, the waves lapping and the seagulls calling just reading this post. Eat some fudge for me. I sure do miss the island. Enjoy your time there!!!

Sally said...

yummy! Of course, people who don't know the midwest, or Mackinac, haven't a clue how absolutely yummy it will be for you!!!

When you come to Chicago, can I see you????

Kate Rudd said...

Mary- scraping pennies..if I must, I'll get there by the sheer force of my determination..I'll check the class schedule today and let you know if the play would work..love the idea!
Amy- I value our friendship *so* much that, in honor of you, I ate a tiny bit of fudge. Well, tiny compared to those marble tables they make it on..;)
Sally- the weekend was great..the yummiest part was the smoked whitefish. I would love to see you! I just don't know if I will have any spare time outside of the class - I'll check the schedule..they try to cram a lot into two days..Good to hear from you - I need to go check your blog to find out how things are in your world!
:)
Matt - the funniest part of your post..I actually have pictures of Ginger at the beach this summer stuffing sand into her sister's swimsuit..My mom always says she looks like Pebbles but acts like BamBam..the couch is very happy in our living room, thank you!

mar-mar said...

check my comments...