Thursday I woke up with one frantic thought: I have to buy a car TODAY.
I had an appointment at noon to drive a Lumina. The owner was a creepy downtown guy who acted a bit paranoid on the phone..he stopped me mid - sentence to ask me suspiciously *where* I was getting my questions(crazy questions like ' what year is the car..how many miles...the last major repair...reason for selling..).
He never showed up for our appointment, but I have a feeling he was watching me in terror through binoculars from some nearby window...
As I drove away I felt like crying but forced myself to stay positive.
At 1:30 I had another appointment, this time to test drive a station wagon which belonged to an acquaintance of an acquaintance. When I showed up, she informed me that the car didn't run - but if I would just buy it right then..she knew someone who would fix it 'real cheap'.
As I drove away I felt like crying but held back the tears and stopped at my aunt's church to call home. Maybe someone had returned my phone calls about an ad in the paper..
No such luck.
As I walked out he door of my aunt's church, I started to cry.
After I got it together, I drove north and passed a car that looked perfect(perfect price, too)..But noone was home to answer the phone, and since I *had* to get a car immediately.. I kept driving.
A few minutes later I pulled into a small dealership - the kind you drive past all your life and never notice.
I saw a little blue car parked in the back, and it was the cheapest one there.
When the salesman walked out to greet me, I fed him the lines I had been rehearsing with feigned confidence: "I am going to buy a car today. It may or may not be here."
I test drove the car, called my bank, returned to the lot and offered $500 less than he was asking(like I had been coached to do). He said no.
I didn't flinch, but said I would take my business elsewhere, turned, and began to leave.
I walked away, waiting for him to stop me, as I had been told to expect.
He didn't.
I drove away, my last hopes dashed.
I made a tearful phone call, feeling totally inept. the rest is a long story, but I went back, negotiated, bluffed, and ended up getting the car.
I picked it up from the lot today, and the cute little beater is growing on me.
I felt sick going into debt...but at least it runs.
Accomplishment&independance vs. financial anxiety&dependence...
There always seems to be two sides to the coin..
.......
So, I have a car!! :) Thanks to those of you who sent your prayers :)
">Link
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
Hooray, Katie Rose! Hooray!
I think the little blue-mobile is cute.
And hopefully the debt will go away faster than you think possible.
I'm still thinking, anticipating, trying-to-figure-out-a-good-time for....Amelie :)
:)
thanks, everyone..it's Sunday now and the car is still running. good sign.
and i think it's cute, too, ang. thanks for taking some time out from the best peach pie ever to imagine our amelie-fest.(yes, pam called me and passed along today's pertinent details)
well???...are you coming????
a yes then cancel would be better...but you could come regardless... even if you didn't have the workshop thing...
let me try to convince you
french algerian coffee shop
free food (on me)
help with gas $
a walk down tree lined streets (the leaves should be starting to change by then)
seeing my video projects
spending time with someone really cool :)
seeing my cool room (oranges, browns...)
meeting "that one guy" (j/k)
seeing chicago-the city that i love
meeting my amazing friends and floor
i miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!! come see me... love you
oh yes...
free parking
Post a Comment