Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The girls and I have just returned from our first all-girl roadtrip. We headed up to Ludington for two days of beach and family. All of us are happy, tired, a little too much sun. We ate a trough of ice cream at the House of Flavors - I don't want to see ice cream again for a very long time. Actually, that's a lie. I could handle some right now. Really, anything cold sounds acceptable..Michigan has had a killer week of heat, and this little house is a little too cozy without AC.

Last night after the kids were in bed, I settled in with my adult (when did that happen?!?) cousins Jessica and Amanda to watch Amelie'. Beautiful, whimsical storytelling...several absolute no-prior-warning freak out moments..altogether one of my favorite recent films.

I started running again this week. Red-faced, chest on fire, flailing like a mad-woman chased by a cougar. It's been two years since I've run with any regularity, and I've never been any good at it, really..but once I get past the first few weeks of torture it begins to be a meditative window in my routine. No other form of exercise has helped my moods or improved my strength as quickly and thoroughly. I have always loved it - once I get past the strong, *strong* urge to quit.
Hopefully this time, I will learn some skills that may help me improve and continue. If any of you readers are also runners, feel free to help me along by sharing your tips! Or actually carrying me while you run. That would be ok too.





8 comments:

Andrea Wagenmaker said...

Katie-
I have also recently started running again, but it has been so hot this week...I just can't do it when I can't breathe! Does this mean I have to start over again?

Anonymous said...

I went running a few times this week and felt as if I was going to die, even in the gym I almost passed out,I have no tips for you...maybe we should go for a swim? Miss you...

Kate Rudd said...

Andrea, you do not have to start over again....but you do have to concede that you're the most naturally athletic woman on the planet and you set the bar too high for the rest of us. ;) The weather was beeter today, though, wasn't it? I loved it.

kell,
YES to swimming! I work 2-close Sat, 8-2:30 Sun. Beach this weekend? miss you back..

Kate Rudd said...

besides being beeter, the weather was also better. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

i love Amelie! last night Stacy and i watched Roman Holiday after the girls were in bed. it feels more like a sleepover than a babysitting job.

Anonymous said...

I don't work at all on Sunday, lets go when you get out of work..I'll call you or you can call me and we'll figure it out. Yay!

Ryan said...

Sweet - lets race in three weeks. There is a 5k in Roosevelt Park!

Kelly too?

Ryan said...

Sorry Andrea... I totally want you to run too. I meant to throw you in the "Kelly too?" comment above.

Forgive me.