A while back I visited a church that closely resembled one I attended as a kid. It brought back alot of memories.
While one of the leaders was giving announcements, a man on the stage began to scream in tongues at the top of his lungs. I had forgotten how.. startling.. that can be.
After the last scream echoed through the room, the man giving the announcement calmly finished.
I don't remember what he said, though. The Screaming-In-Tongues guy was chuckling sheepishly to the person next to him on the stage.
It struck me that his expression looked just like a kid who had passed gas loudly in public: slightly embarrassed by the noise but pleased with the attention.
I felt completely out of place there. Actually, that's how I've felt in every church I've been a part of.
As a follower of Christ, I am devoted to him. But over the years, I have grown increasingly afraid of the organized church.
One part of me says, " Jump back in. You can't learn to swim by staying out of the water."
The other part answers, "Are you crazy? That's where I almost drowned. I can still feel the water in my lungs. "
I'm not looking for a perfect community, and I recognize my own shortcomings. I want to be part of the solution to the problems in the body of Christ..I'm just being honest.
I don't miss much of what I experienced within the walls of churches. The posturing, power-struggles, gossip, abandonment, hypocrisy, hardness, expectations, manipulation.
There are things I do miss. And I look forward to a time when the memories of those good things and kind people will loom larger than the hurtful ones. I thought it felt wierd to be a pastor's wife; it was hard to find others who related to that experience. The end of my marriage seems to have now put me in an even smaller(and wierder feeling) category: women who used to be married to pastors who are now afraid to attend church but are trying to work through that fear. Life is crazy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Hi beautiful sister of mine! I'm supposed to be thinking about doing my taxes... but instead I thought I'd just check out your site to see if I could learn where you've been lately! I'm so glad that you've been experiencing your feelings so clearly... it's all so beauteous, even the painful parts. This is all natural, all natural. Catching up with you in person is so magical, and I so hope you stop by Busia's this weekend. I'll be leaving for thereness in the morning. Love, Lara
I couldn't hope for a better way to end my Friday than hearing from ma soleil seour..I love you!
I am celebrating Easter tomorrow morning with the girls, then they will go to other family for the night..I will try my best to get to Busia's later in the day, and will call if I haev any difficulty. Drive safely. :)
It's SPRIIIINNGGG!
Post a Comment