Sunday, August 07, 2005

Ludington has llamas.

I'm back, but it's 2 in the am, so I don't plan on this post being deep, thoughtful, or even very coherent..

Camping was more exhausting than fun, but still very fun.

Ginger fell and split her eyebrow so badly we almost had to take her for stitches.

It helps to always camp with a pediatric nurse who can turn a camper into a clinic at 1 in the morning and pull "Steri - Strips" out of her bag, which apparently are as good as stitches.

A bleeding 2 yr old doesn't care how effective Steri-Strips are..

We ended up at a street festival in ludington where musicians were playing for tips every fifty feet along the main road.

There was a booth where ladies were selling organic corn chips with organic salsa.

I bought some for a dollar even though I wasn't hungry, because it seemed like the right thing to do.

I found a bluegrass band called the Mountain Town Moonshiners that was incredible.

Sitting in the front row listening to the band, next to a grizzly-looking bearded man in a neck cage(for his broken neck?), was a brown llama.

As I absorbed that surreal picture, I began to notice the others..at least six llamas wandering in the festival.

Later on, same injured grizzly Beard Man walks by with a white parrot perched on his neck cage.

I lost my bag of organic corn chips and salsa.


The festival goers, rich tourists and surly locals, all seemed to think the llama thing was normal.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this Ludington Michigan? I live in Los Angeles now, but I grew up in Michigan. Thought I'd say hi to a fellow Michigander

I found your site through Alex McManus' site, who is a friend of mine.

Kate Rudd said...

Welcome, Amy,
Yes - it's Ludington, MI. There's nothing like that part of michigan in the summertime.. :)

We are planning to move to LA in the spring. I've actually been searching apartment and job listings all afternoon(after awhile it's info overload)..we are looking to land somewhere in the Los Feliz area, so if you hear of anything we'd love to know!

Glad you found my site, I'll check yours out as well!
Katie

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting! What brings you to LA?
What are the chances huh?

I Love Los Feliz!!!! It's a great area. Scott and I have often talked about moving to that part of town ourselves. Some of our best friends live there. They have a four year old girl too and are in the middle of figuring out the whole school thing for next fall. I can send some info your way if you're interested.

Another friend lives in a great apt builing there. I'll have him keep an eye out in the area. Some of the best places are found by just driving around. What are you looking for?

What kind of jobs are you looking for?

It's great to meet ya!
amy

Kate Rudd said...

Amy,
thanks so much for that quick and helpful response!
We are coming to LA for several reasons..we feel drawn by God to the city, we want to become involved at Mosaic, and I plan to get more in-depth experience with acting.
We are on a very tight budget, so we need an apartment for under $700/month ideally. We realize this means tiny, and we're spending this year downsizing.
Justin plans to work in a secular job and is hoping to manage a coffee shop, since I have background in coffee and we'd like to open our own place someday.
He's not picky, though - we'll work wherever we can.
We're grateful to both you & your friend for keeping an eye out!

Anonymous said...

I will keep my eyes and ears open for jobs and apts.

Do you have a head shot? I may be able to pass it around to some people I know before you get here.

We go to Mosaic! That's so wild! We found Mosaic (before it was Mosaic and it was called Church on Bradey ) when we first moved to LA which was 10 years ago for similar reasons as you. (crazy that it's been that long) We love Mosaic!!!

How did you hear about the church?
amy~

Kate Rudd said...

Thanks so much! I appreciate your willingness to help. I do indeed have a headshot, but it's not so good. We didn't have $$, so they're amateur. I do have an agent in Chicago who kindly took me in spite of the flawed shots :), but gently told me to get better ones. Soon.
I can send you my resume/photos by email if you want. I'm working on a small project that hopefully will pay enough to get some real ones done.
We first heard about Mosaic through Erwin - Justin was at a conference where he spoke, then read his books. Last year he went to Origins in Orlando, then he & I both came to Origins in LA this year. We helped a little behind the scenes and met so many people - it would be funny if we met there and just didn't know it!
Are you involved with SHE? I saw that there seems to be a group of runners, and I'd like to hook up with that when we get there(I'm a total beginner but I love it).
What part of Michigan did you grow up in? I'm from Muskegon and have lived all over the West side of the state.

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie,
Yeah, send me your headshots whenever you'd like. If you wanted to wait until you get your new ones, I can pass it around whenever.

I was at Origins for only one day doing a talk for one of the breakout sessions. I was not there for the main event, although I wished I could have been there. Unless you were in the set design or the imosaic or the tech breakout sessions I probably did not see you. These sessions were at the Myan, while all the other ones were at the hotel. That would be wild if we did meet though eh?

Yeah, I am part of SHE, but not one of the main runners. I'm on the mom2 mom team, which is one part of SHE. It is an awesome group of women.

I grew up in Wixom, which is near Novi. I went to school at Eastern and worked in Ann Arbor throughout college. I love Ann Arbor. I have family on the western side of the state. Barrien Springs and St. Joseph.

Kate Rudd said...

Amy,
How insane! I *did* go to the set design workshop, and as I was reading your comment I suddenly remembered you and the guy who co-led(?) it sitting in the Mayan in front of us on stools, I think. I got there late, but I remember you talking about color and general aesthetics..I don't remember if we met afterwards or not -

I will be driving past AnnArbor tomorrow on my way to Detroit..I've never explored it but there's a theater in chelsea that I'd like to take classes from(I think that's part of AnnArbor?)..
I've never been to Wixom. It's always amazing to me how after living in MI all my life there are still so many areas I'm unaware of .
What does Paloma Race mean?

Anonymous said...

Ha! that is so wild!!!! I am not so good in front of people. I'm embarrassed. I was asked to help out that day. I am still in shock that you were in that session. This is pretty crazy.

The name of the theater is Purple... somthing right? Scott was going to get involved wtih that theater, when we lived there.

There are some great places to eat there in Ann Arbor if you stop for lunch along the way.

Paloma Race... lol, well... it means dove race. I was going to be anonymous at first when I started this whole blog thing. I don't know why. I think I was just a little nervous about people knowing my thoughts, but then I got used to the idea and let it all hang out so to speak. I liked the way it sounded. Deep huh?