Saturday, July 23, 2005

Willow & Ginger's Frog Prince..

This morning we woke the girls up, fed them breakfast, and waited for their surprise visitor. At promptly 8:21 am, Grandma Kern arrived at the door, and we set off on our mystery trip. After an hour of driving and vague answers to the girls' curious questions, we finally admitted that we were on a journey to find the *perfect* parking lot. We found it in Coldwater and cheered as we parked. Willow eyed us incredulously("We drove all this way for pavement?", she must have been thinking)..
Ginger cheered along with the majority , unsure of why a parking lot could be so exciting, but willing to humor us.

Satisfied with our triumph and about to load the girls up for the trip home, the adults happened to notice that their Perfect Parking Lot was directly across the street from the Tibbits Opera House...and there were children entering through the stained glass doors..excited children.

Minutes later, the secret out at last, Willow and Ginger settled into their seats and experienced their first encounter with theater.


"The Frog Prince" was an enchanted blend of wistful songs, a beautiful princess, an evil-yet-fascinating snake, and a misunderstood prince..
At intermission, we were lavished with popcorn and koolaid in the gallery basement of the theater. In the middle of a sea of children and Grandmas , Ginger busied herself with scooping up all the fallen popcorn and eating it as fast as she could. Until we realized what she was doing. I really don't know how much she got before we caught on, but she was thoroughly enjoying herself.

In the end, the prince got his kiss, the snake was defeated by the deafening whistles and shrieks of 200 children, the princess got her treasure back, and we all left happy.



3 comments:

Ang said...

this sounds like a lot of fun!
i wish i could have seen the girls enjoying it.
love you,
ang

Redbaerd said...

how crazy is this --

the frog prince was the first non-church theater experience *I* ever had. I have no idea how old I was or what the occasion was, it had to be before I was 8 though. I remember every detail.

so...the point of my story? hmmm. I'm excited that I got to share the experience second hand, twice removed, but no less profoundly (?) with Willow & Ginger...

Kate Rudd said...

Ang,
I kicked myself for forgetting the camera..

Andrew,
I hope the experience stays as vivid for them as it did for you. I have very blurred memories of my childhood for the most part, and I envy the clarity and colour with which you recall your history!



Love,
Katie