Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Short post today...

last night True Vine was given a field full of hay; the only task we had was gathering it from the field, loading and unloading the bales. We gathered a last-minute group of volunteers and headed a few miles down the road to the 'mountain farm', as the locals call it.
Lawton is beautiful this time of year, and last night was no exception. The skies threatened to storm, wind whipping over the rolling vineyards. The air was cool and filled with the scent of freshly cut hay as we swarmed the field with tractors and trailers picking up the heavy bales..
I was given the job of driving the tractor, which was ....interesting. You see, I've never driven a tractor before, or even a riding lawn mower. I was given a 30 second verbal lesson and the full confidence of our friend, Farmer Bob. I did fine until we had to go down a steep hill and I forgot how to slow the machine down. A bit of screaming on my part and a quick scattering of volunteers, then another brief lesson from the very patient Farmer Bob. Everything went smoothly after that until later when Bob and I were chatting as he leaned against is parked tractor when I accidentally took my foot off the brake, nearly running him over..
">Link

1 comment:

Ang said...

i can imagine the scene. you are so funny. thanks for sharing your stories-even though we are far away.
what time is the open house tomorrow? see you there? love you!
-ang