Tonight, as you tuck your children into sleep, think about this:
Every night in Northern Uganda, over 30, 000 children flee from their homes to find relative safety sleeping in the streets of the city.....
Mary came home this weekend before leaving for Turkey next Sunday..
She had the documentary with her that I first mentioned about a week back, and I finally got to see it in it's entirety. Although the film needs work(it's only a rough cut and not exhaustive of the situation's details), it's point is clear: the atrocities of the civil war in Northern Uganda are hurting the children most of all. And it's mission is clear: to draw as much attention to this emergency as possible, in order to provoke the international community to step in and do something.
Since the film is incomplete, it left me with some questions. I spent the better part of tonight researching the history of the conflict, and I have independantly found validation for all the claims that were made in the film(I still have more digging to do). I used records from the UN and various human rights watch groups to confirm the facts from the film. The reason I'm doing this is that after seeing this footage, I no longer have the option of doing NOTHING. And, though I took issue with a few things the filmmakers did(like killing a snake in boyish glee), I still stand behind the project as a whole, because it does what it is supposed to do: it forces you to look at something most of the world has been ignoring, and it makes the viewer very uncomfortable.
I want a clear handle on this subject because I am going to begin showing this film to groups as soon as possible to generate as much action as possible.
This issue, the plight of the people in this region, has been reported on by human rights groups all along. There have been attempts to get the word out through journalism and websites, but I believe that there needs to be a louder tool used in order for our government and others to take action. Hopefully, the use of cinema as a vehicle for change will help - and the grassroots movement that's starting in homes, highschools, colleges, and universities seems to be a good strategy for spreading this urgent information.
These children need help NOW.
Saturday, February 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment