Last night I lasted three hours before coming in at 1:30. It took about 1/2 hr of coaching from Justin before I could find a close-enough to comfortable position, and once I finally stopped squirming, I learned a few things I won't soon forget...
1~ winter sleeping bags are shaped very differently than their warm-weather cousins.
2~winter sleeping bags are shaped like ancient-eqyptian-coffin/mummy-wrap-things.
3~when in a winter sleeping bag, one should not attempt to move; if one does, one will become hopelessly entangled, resulting in a sensation that can only be compared to having a wedgie.On your entire body.
4~when preparing to sleep outdoors, it is wise to overdress the knee which will be closest to the zipper. Otherwise, the knee will wind up locally frozen by the tiny blast of arctic air seeping through the pin-sized zipper-flaw.
5~Apparently, people with panic disorder should not attempt to sleep in things that feel like coffins.
6~Supposing that such a person *does* attempt this, they will undoubtedly feel the need to keep their face uncovered so as to breathe fresh air(lessening the mummy sensation)
7~Should said person fall asleep with their face uncovered outdoors in the winter, they will definately find themselves disoriented upon awaking with frozen aching lungs. They will, in their confused state, assume that they are in ancient eqypt, during the ice age, stuck in a mummy wrap/coffin-thing, dying of frozen lungs.
8~Once one has recovered from above dreadful illusion, they will immediately get up, walk the three steps to the screen door, tell their spouse they've had enough, & stumble towards their down comforter, whos name has aquired new meaning.
It was worth a try. Justin was nice enough to come in when I did, although he certainly would have prefferred his outdoor bed. Besides sleeping in the cold, he faithfully tends his ice wall(in our backyard, taller than the garage!) each day, and climbs in his basement bouldering cave; all in preparation for his annual trip up north for the ice fest. There *are* others like him, and they converge in cold places each year to freeze together. He can't wait - last year, he took our sister Mary, who is always up for an adventure with her big brother. This year he's taking a group of guys who have never climbed - or winter camped. The stories should be interesting!........
Weird! ...ringing cell...as I finish writing this, Justin & I are on the phone with Mary - she's loving Moody and is wasting no time putting down roots there. I won't even attempt to talk further about her right now - there's too much to be said about someone so loved.
P.S. Yes, Mary, next time I sleep outside, I'll make sure my hair is dry first.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment